GP Contracting Briefing
Practices will be offered a new Networks DES (aka ‘Primary Care Network Contract’)
• The DES will provide funding for practices to form and develop networks, as well as for additional workforce
• The DES will outline services to be delivered by the network in return for the funding
• Doing this via a DES allows PCNs to be built through the GMS contract, and therefore from the ground up, ensuring that there is no need for procurement, and that they are GP-led.
The DES specification will be developed by GPC England and NHS England over the next few months
• Supplementary network services may be developed, supported by additional local financial assistance
• CCGs may continue to commission local services direct from practices or where appropriate via the network DES ( and should be discussed with LMCs and practices)